This was a fairly laid back weekend for me- no sporting events or huge gambling wins as I've become accustomed to over the last few weeks, but it was decently fun none the less.
- My basketball team had to play the first place team in our Men's League on Friday. The catch was that we were missing two of our best players and had no subs. We played fairly hard and kept it somewhat close but ended up losing by nine. The highlight of the game came when they stole the ball and got a fastbreak dunk. The only problem is that dunks are illegal in our league! It's a really lame rule, but our team was well aware of it (and who am I kidding- I'm not dunking these days anyway!) The refs T'ed the guy up and kicked him out of the game (and out of the gym.) The narrowed the gap a bit for our team, but it wasn't enough. I probably had 25 or something, but it really doesn't matter since we lost. I have a pretty nasty bruise on my right arm, but I suppose that goes with the territory. Anyway, our team is now 3-3 (we're the only team that had to play the best team twice) and we're headed into playoffs this Friday.
- I woke in the morning and played at the Farmers' Market in Vacaville. The crowd was great! The people of Vacaville are really awesome and I love playing there every time. To be honest, that's part of the reason I'll be getting married in their fine city. The lady in the next booth over was very complimentary before I even started playing. She said she had gotten my CD last year and plays it at her house all the time. Even guests to her house compliment it as well! I'll stop before my head grows a size- wait one more. Another gentleman on a bicycle said my voice sounds like Kurt Cobain from time to time! I had never heard that one before, but I'll take it! As long as I'm not sounding like Chad Kroeger, then I'm good.
- Ran some errands for the wedding and checked up on the Cubs via my iPhone. They are so bad. Between Milton Bradley not knowing how many outs there are, or Milton Bradley making baserunning mistakes, or Milton Bradley thinking everyone is out to get him, I think he might be the reason this team is imploding. He needs to get shipped to a team like the Royals where no one cares and I guarantee he'll hit .310. He loves being on teams that don't get much ink. You're in a big media market now, Milton- get used to it! And to think the Cubs could've a) kept Mark DeRosa or b) gone harder after Raul Ibanez. Now that would've been way better.
- And another thing about the Cubs. The had the best offense in the National League last year. The reason for getting Bradley was so that they could have a more balanced lineup going "Right, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, etc." The example they kept showing on ESPN was Chad Billingsly carving up the Cubs' lineup in the playoffs last year. It showed that he didn't have to change his breaking ball because all the Cubs hitters were right handed. Essentially, he got in a groove and didn't have to adjust. Well, did anyone think that maybe Billingsly was just on fire and the Cubs got cold at the wrong time? This more expensive and re-tooled offense is doing nothing. NOTHING! It is worse than watching the SF Giants' offense! And guess what?! The Cubs' starters have a better ERA than anyone else in the National League, including the Giants! So, if they had some offense instead of none, they'd probably be near the top! I can feel my blood pressure rise as I type this!
- Kobe gets another ring- yay? That was one of the lamest celebrations of a title ever. Isn't it always better to win on your home court? Some of the Magic fans stayed, but it was a very quiet arena for the post game celebration (as well it should be, but it was horrible TV.) Congrats LA fans, you just won the least dominant championship of all time!
- Last, this one goes out to the blog community. I know more people than just G$ read my blog (and a big thanks goes out to my one strong commentor) so as a reminder, don't be shy. Comment away. And if you have a good idea for a topic, or have any questions that you want my opinion on, then throw those in the comment section as well. This thing succeeds when people participate!
That's it for today. Go get the Pearl Jam "Ten" Redux album- it's awesome.