Monday, August 10, 2009
A Case of the Mondays
Ummmmm... yeah. I'm going to need you to write a blog about your weekend. Ok? Yeah.
- My weekend began with a pretty sweet night out in Sacramento. Future Mrs. B. and I went out to Bistro 33 in Midtown Sacramento for dinner. While I highly recommend the restaurant in general, this location has a really weird dynamic going on. It's not as roomy as the Davis location, making it not as good of a going out atmosphere, but they also play more dance music which makes it confusing to eat at. It's like they are frustrating both demographics that they would want to appeal to. The food was very good though, so at least they have that going for them.
- After that it was off to see "Funny People" at the Regal 16 in Natomas. I definitely enjoyed the movie (great comedy as well as a good story- just remember that it is 146 minutes long), but that wasn't the best part of the night. I fully enjoyed walking by the large lines that had developed to go into the G.I. Joe theaters. It made me feel like I was some kind of VIP where the rules didn't apply. In actuality, I'm just some guy who wasn't going to see action star Marlin Waynes wear a ridiculous looking jump suit that's supposed to justify to the audience why he can pull off gravity defying jumps and flips on opening weekend. Hey! Let me have my rant- it's not often that I'm not grouped in with the nerds. It's my one moment in the non-nerdy sun!
- I played many, many, many, many hours of online poker this weekend. I was playing awfully well for awhile, and then my success ended up being my downfall as I got a bit more careless. I'm still up about $52, but that should definitely be over $100 at this point. The hand of the weekend came when I went up against "PaladinMyke." I had pocket 4's- he raised, another person called, and I called because of pot odds. The flop came 2-3-9. Damn, nothing. He put in another raise, and I put him on A-K, so I called. Next card was an Ace. This is where I admit I got reckless. He raised again, and I figure "Well, now I have that straight draw, so let's get crazy and gamble." Sure enough, a 5 peels off on the river. I check, because I'm sure this guy is going to bet big. He does. I call and completely double up through him. The catch is, that he had POCKET ACES. Oops. I guess that doesn't change my less than steady play, but this time it worked out. He starts in on the speech about how terrible I am to which I replied, "Dude, you're going to be fine. You're a Paladin!" I don't think he appreciated that because his next few chat entries looked Q*Bert's speech balloon after he gets hit by an evil spring (no idea what those things were called.) Bad poker play was saved by drawing out on someone, and then needling them for their terrible screen name. Works for me!
- Sunday was a day of laundry and rest. I watched the Cubs get whacked by the Rockies. I'm not even going to worry about the Cubs at this point. If they can put a string of wins together, then they'll get more ink here. Until then, I'm not going to get worked up over a team that has consistently not taken advantage of opportunities (in games or when division rivals faulter.) Ugh.
- I made my triumphant return to the G St Pub last night! I used to play there almost every Sunday, but that ended last October. They invited me back to play last night and I thought it went very well. The crowd was somewhat small, but they were singing-a-long and getting into it. I'll be back there on August 23 which will be my fifth show in four days! Yikes! I hope I'm able to make it through that stretch...
Overall, it was a great relaxing weekend. Next weekend, I'm returning to the Peppermill in Reno for bachelor party debachary. Hopefully I'll have good stories to tell...