"Holding on the offense. 10 yard penalty. Repeat 2nd down."
"Roughing the QB. 15 yard penalty. Automatic 1st down."
"Pass interference on the defense. Ball will be placed at the spot of the foul. 1st down."
Should I keep going? I have 14 more if you're interested. Penalties ultimately helped put the Bears in an easier position to win last night's game. Here is my overall assessment of the game:
- Aaron Rodgers is scary. He's easily a Top 5 QB in the league and is so exacting I might start calling him "Dexter." The Packers really let him down last night with mental errors that turned into penalties.
- Jay Cutler showed some shades of last year by throwing an interception and almost throwing a few more. Desmond Clark dropped a 4th and Goal pass that should've been caught, but otherwise the Bears' offense does look much better than last year. The Mike Martz experiment seems to be going well.
- Julius Peppers was a HUGE signing for the Bears. He didn't have any sacks, but his presence alone was a big factor. He also blocked a field goal that surely would've gone in.
- Devin Hester is still the man! It has been way too long since he broke off a punt a return for a TD. Had he beat the punter on his first one, he would've had two. Teams probably need to go back to kicking it out of bounds.
- In the end, neither the Bears or the Packers played their best games. It's clear that Jay Cutler is much improved but not at the level of Aaron Rodgers. The game was a lot of fun to watch (for me- I don't know if the unbiased viewer feels the same way) and I am beyond stoked that the Bears are the last undefeated team in the NFC.
Am I thinking the Bears are going all the way to the Super Bowl? Nope, not proclaiming anything like that just yet. Am I excited about the Bears start and where they can go from here? You bet your ass I am! Here are their next 5 games:
@ Bills (in Toronto)
This schedule sets up quite nicely. The Giants and Redskins will both play the Bears tough, but I think they other games will go the Bears' way. I admit, the back end of their schedule is pretty rough, but even if they get to 6-2 or 7-1 they will be looking good for the playoffs. You have to love the NFL- sometimes it is just impossible to know what to expect!