Being cooped up in a one bedroom apartment is not quite as glamorous as it sounds. Many days I long for a small portion of time devoted to male solitude without the slight possibility of being forced to watch the new episode of "Project Runway." For you folks living in smaller apartments, you know it is a bummer when your kitchen tables are encroaching on your TV areas. I know one day, Mrs. B. and I will move to a spacious home where I will firmly entrench myself in a man-cave- and here are some ideal aspects of said man-cave:
- Multiple TVs. While it's great to have one bad-ass TV, you will find yourself needing more than one in the event that you have the NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB Extra Innings. Two seems to be the minimum needed for an ideal man-cave. And make sure they are flat screen! The days of the full screen are over- you need wide screen and HD!
- A Bar. You're not going to be able to host a Sunday get together without booze. Cabnets with liquor in them is good. A full bar with a kegerator is much better. One of your TVs can go above the bar to make sure you don't miss any action while you help your guests get loaded (especially Raiders fans- they need help!)
- The NFL Redzone Channel. What a great idea, right? Why wouldn't you want all the scoring action from all the games? The answer- there is no reason! It's awesome and necessary. Instead of waiting through a 6-3 game with the Jets vs. the Ravens, you get to see every team put up points.
- Comfortable Seating. You're going to need couches and chairs that make you immediately go into a buffalo wing coma as soon as you sit in them. This will help you stay comfortable during any sporting event and you may get lucky and have a friend fall asleep in the chair. Keep a pen handy to write witty things on their face. Maybe draw a Raiders' eye-patch on a Niners fan. Just remember, their hand in warm water is a horrible idea while inside your own home!
- Internet Connection. Many of you could be betting on the athletic event in question. You're going to need action, and since you haven't started your own casino inside your house- you'll need the internet. Check lines and make bets. Just make sure you gamble responsibly!
- A Shaggy Rug. I have no idea why this seems like such a good idea, but it just does. It sounds comfortable, right? Be aware of any clumsy friends who may not be seasoned vets with chips and salsa or pulled pork sandwiches. On second thought, make sure you get a darker colored rug.
- Surround Sound. How else will you immerse yourself in the sports action. Even if this is not utilized optimally, it will come in handy if you ever want to watch "The Expendables" on BluRay.
- Inexpensive but Nice Looking Tables. Let's keep it real, your friends are not going to use coasters. They might mean well, but in the end, drunkness overpowers all. Don't put your antique wooden table in the man cave- find tables that will be able to deal with beer glasses, spilled alcohol, and ranch dressing getting on them.
This is a good start, but I'm sure there is more to do. Leave a comment with your man-cave advice and email and you have a chance at being drawn for a $40 gift card to CSNStores.com! It could help you get started on your own man-cave upgrade. I'll pick the winner on Friday.
(Also, for great Tail Gate advice- check out G$'s blog HERE! - he knows what he's doing out on the parking lot gridiron.)